October 3, 2012

Opulent Wood Carved Settee


My opulent wood carved settee with french damask fabric was not always so pretty.  In the beginning it was dark, dated and red velvet is not my favorite.
Before

After
(isn't it dreamy?)

This was actually a lot of work the first step was to spray paint the entire piece silver. ( kept looking over my shoulder waiting to be arrested by the antique furniture police)   The second step was to dry brush over the silver using the color chateau by Behr.  The third step ( and the hardest) was to distress the entire piece.  I didn't like the way sandpaper looked so I used steel wool.  I went through so many pieces the stuff just disintegrates over all the wood details.  I also don't think my hand has fully recovered either. 






Linking to:
vif187
Furniture Feature Fridays

11 comments:

  1. Very Beautiful!! take care Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! You did an AMAZING job! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily you have outdone yourself this time. My hand is hurting in sympathy from the steel wool. That piece is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I had the exact Chippendale chairs and table--same color and everything. Come to find out I was able to sell for a good price because that is the original upholstery. But if I would have kept it I would have loved to do to it what you did! Oh well, the lady that bought mine was over the moon about the set. I kept the matching buffet though--and it is white now too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love how the chateau color tones down the silver, along with the distressing...would never have thought to use that color! Is it kind of a putty shade?
    Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job! What a WOW transformation! I'd love for you to share this at my party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com
    It would be a great addition!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful transformation. I have a chair at the moment that i am contemplating spray painting silver but it does scare me a little to touch antiques but i guess otherwise im definately never going to use it and love it.
    You did a great job and i love the fabric choice too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Going to give your painting technique a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am learning little by little. Use of small materials is fantastic.
    countertops north carolina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your settee! All the details just pop now and I love the silver and distressing. Won't you share at my party Totally Transformed Tuesday? I know my readers would love to see. http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com Hope to see you there. :-) Peggy

    ReplyDelete